Ledig tjänst: Deputy Director, Social Sciences, for International Research Programme
The International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) secretariat is seeking a deputy director, social sciences. IGBP is an international research programme with the vision to provide essential scientific leadership and knowledge of the Earth system to help guide society onto a sustainable pathway during rapid global change.
The multidisciplinary network is composed of core projects, managed by small teams located in different countries around the world. The secretariat manages integration and synthesis across these projects and promotes integrated research outcomes. IGBP, in collaboration with partner global environmental change programmes, is undergoing a transition to a new international structure for sustainability research, Future Earth. IGBP is sponsored by the International Council for Science (ICSU).
The duties of the deputy director, social sciences include
- advising and guiding IGBP and its projects on integrating cutting edge social-ecological research
- supporting and engaging the IGBP research community in the transition to Future Earth
- supporting the IGBP Scientific Committee;
- representing IGBP at meetings and international research activities; and advocating on its behalf
- assisting the executive director in fundraising and guiding the work of the IGBP secretariat.
The successful candidate will
- have a PhD in a relevant field of global change research, preferably social science, with experience of working at the interface between natural and social sciences
- have at least 10 years experience since PhD, including science management and partnership management
- have experience of global research networks and environmental policy issues; experience of institutional transition an advantage
- have diplomatic skills and ability to liaise with leaders in a broad, international scientific community
- be a strategic thinker, dynamic and able to work under their own initiative in a highly diverse, multi-cultural team
- have excellent communication skills in English. Other languages an advantage
- be willing to undertake international travel.
The position is based at the IGBP secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden and reports to the Executive Director of IGBP. The salary is paid in Swedish crowns and is based on that of a senior scientist in Sweden.
The position, which is full-time, is to be filled as soon as possible for an initial period of two years.
To apply, send a CV and cover letter outlining your relevant skills, experience and availability to email@example.com by 22 October 2012. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
For more information please contact Zlatko Kotevski at Tresurs Företagsutveckling (recruitment company) on +46 8 744 16 60 or Wendy Broadgate (IGBP’s deputy director, natural sciences) on +46 8 16 64 48.